10.03.2013

7

Today is Kara's 7th birthday!  It seems so amazing that 7 years ago she came into our lives and lightened our world.  She amazes me daily and I learn more about myself as she grows.

I am sitting here working on a few tasks, waiting for the time to go pick up some cookies to take into her class for her birthday treat.  Yesterday, while walking home, she practically threw a a fit about me staying while the class sings Happy Birthday to her.  She wanted me to bring the cookies and leave, quickly, quietly, and without embarrassment.  Mind you, up until now, I have purposefully done very little that could be construed as embarrassing.  Her friends and teachers seem to like me pretty much.  I have no idea where this demand came from.  But I stuck to my guns and insisted that if I bring the cookies, I get to stay for the song.  I had to promise not to walk through the school in a clown outfit screaming about her birthday, but after a few tears and some hugs, she agreed that maybe it wouldn't be terrible if I stayed.

After this surprise interaction, I realized that all too quickly, I won't be able to negotiate my way into her daily life.  It won't be long before I am deemed "too uncool" to be part of her world.  I remember spending much of my tween/teen years feeling exactly the same way about my parents.  And I have no doubt that like everything else these days, this will start earlier for Kara than it did for me.  And that makes me sad.

I am hoping that it also will make me value and appreciate every moment that I have with her before I start getting the stiff arm and cold shoulder that is sure to come.  She is a funny, sweet, creative, smart, wonderful girl that I often feel like I am just getting to know.  She's generally not "my easy one" of the two, but she has taught me so much in the last 7 years.  I am eternally grateful that she is in my life and I would
go to the ends of the earth for her.  And to see that beautiful smile.

Happy Birthday to my darling Kara!  I look forward to all the joy, laughter, adventures and smiles that 7 brings to you!

No comments: