11.20.2008

Popcorn

When I was a kid, my mom (who LOVES popcorn) would sometimes make popcorn and let me have that as my lunch or make a big bowl as an afternoon snack. She definitely instilled in me a love for popcorn. It was always a special thing, but it happened way more frequently than other treats in our house. As a result, I do, on occasion eat popcorn for dinner or as a meal, usually when Matt is out of the house and after the kids are in bed. I have yet to serve them popcorn as a meal, but I have made it as a snack. Right now the kids are eating a big bowl of it and are quite content. It is truly a family favorite for us. It's a cold day outside today and we were home after picking John up from school without anything particular to do this afternoon. When they started asking for a snack and it was early enough to make popcorn without ruining their dinner, I thought why not? Yummm. They both jumped at the chance to help turn the crank on the popper (yes, I actually do cook it on the stove, not in the microwave) and are happily now eating their yummy snack. The only sound is the crunching of their bites and an occasional "nummy" from Kara. How great that my kids have taken on my love of this delicious, and not entirely unhealthy snack (it does actually have lots of fiber, which is great for Kara particularly). I love it.

No comments: