9.03.2008

Just Playing

This morning we are taking things slowly. The kids both slept until 7:30 (very nice!), and it's now 2 hours later and we haven't done much other than eat some breakfast. I'm enjoying this last week before school and swim lessons start up next week and things get a little crazier again. We have a few things that need to get done before Monday, but not too much and it's allowed us to relax and have a slower pace in the mornings than our usual routine. The kids are playing a game together while I'm writing this. I've even managed to have a couple of brief phone calls without too much disruption from the under 5 crowd in my background. The kids seem to be taking advantage of our less hectic time as well. Yesterday John and I made granola bars from a recipe in his Disney cookbook. He was thrilled! And the whole family enjoyed snacking on them after dinner last night. I imagine we'll make those again for our upcoming camping trip later this month, but I digress....

The last week or two have been wonderful weather and slower days for us. Finally, the summer slowdown I was waiting for...but a little later than I wanted it to come. That's okay, I'm glad to have school starting soon. John needs the time away from Kara, and also is very much ready to go and work on new art projects, go on new field trips, and meet some new friends. But we have taken advantage during this wonderful, almost fall-like weather we've had lately to do some fun things, such as going to Great Falls Park, Frying Pan Park, the National Zoo, farmers' markets, boating, and some pool time. All along with just hanging out and playing with our neighborhood friends. It's been a great way to bring the summer to a close.

No comments: