9.17.2008

Preschool Parent

Last week I had the pleasure of working as a Helping Parent in John's preschool classroom. That's one of my favorite things about our preschool, as time consuming as it can feel somedays, it is great fun. John always loves to have me come to school with him, as do all the kids when their parent is there. Each day there is one teacher and three parents in the class with about 17 kids. It sounds a little crazy, and some days it is, but it really flows well, the kids get to do so much, and have a lot of fun in the process. I even learn a few things each time I go. It's a great chance to learn exactly what happens every day in the room, which kids are better friends, which ones are funny, and which ones are shy. It helps when you're not working and you ask your child at pick-up time what they did today. The typical response from John is, "hmmm, I don't remember." But I can ask specific questions to get more information - who had the different jobs in the room, what was the arts & crafts project (which he always does more than once), what toys were out in the block corner, what books were read on the blue rug, and many more. I feel like I can see what his day is like because I've been there with him on other days.

Some days I don't want to go because I have a lot to do at home, and I do enjoy having a break from the kids during the afternoons. But once I'm there, it's so much fun and I always laugh and have a great time. I've been absolutely delighted with our choice to send him to this school. And Kara is already prepared to be a student there as well. She tries to wash her hands when we drop John off and was devastated that she didn't have a nametag on the first day. I explained to her that next year she would be starting school and then would have her own nametag. That didn't help her at all, but it definitely brought a smile to my face knowing that she'll be able to walk right in and feel at home in the school, just the way John and I already do.

No comments: