2.05.2009

Super Swimmer

So this entire fall and winter I've been enrolling John in swim classes. At the end of the summer he was really ready to learn so that he could swim without his vest on, but with Kara in tow, my ability to work with him was very limited. So, not guessing that Kara's swimming status is going to change next summer, I am determined to do all I can for John to be a stronger swimmer before the summer. That means swim lessons. And a lot of them. We've done 3 classes so far this fall and winter. I decided that we should take one session off (mainly to give us a break of the twice a week routine of getting to the pool). Then we're already signed up for the remaining 2 sessions before the summer. He should be so ready for the outdoor pool season!

After many days of being quite nervous to even have water on his face, along about mid-December, he decided it was okay to put a wet washcloth covering his face. Then he thought pouring a bowl of water in the tub would be okay. Next thing I know he's putting his face right into the water, in class and at home. What a turn-around from where he was not long ago! He's even jumped into the pool with his teacher (who I just LOVE!), so that he went under the water and came up and was totally fine.

Today was his big day though. It was the last day of this session and he managed to do a full fledged independent back float! The first time was for 5 seconds, then 20 seconds and then he did it about 3 or 4 more times just for practice. He said it was relaxing! It was so amazing to watch his achievement and how proud I was of him. This kid wouldn't even get his face wet 2 months ago and now can float on his back on his own. I am a very very very proud mom today.

No comments: