3.07.2009

Big Girl Undies

This past week we've begun experimenting a little bit with big girl underpants. Very exciting as it means the light at the end of the diaper tunnel is getting a shade brighter. Kara's already enrolled in preschool for the fall, so she's got to be potty trained by September. But I'm pretty sure we'll be fine by then. Anyway, four or five times this week we've put her in underwear, mostly for just a few hours in the late afternoon/evening when we're going to be around the house and accidents can be easily dealt with. So far she's done great with it and has been very enthusiastic about wearing her underwear.

Then yesterday afternoon after her nap, she needed a diaper change before getting John at school. Afterwards, she insisted on wearing underwear. This was the first time we were going out of the house with them on. I was a little nervous, but she was insistent, so I was willing to give it a try. We picked John up at school, played a bit there, went to Safeway, and played out on our street with some neighbors, all with no accidents! I was so surprised. I kept waiting for the last second rush into the house for a potty trip, but it never came. She did so well! Then, of course, within 30 minutes we had a wet underwear experience, followed shortly after by a lovely diarrhea in the underwear experience (totally yucky!!!). So, while the end of the day didn't go so well, she certainly made it for quite a long while doing very well with it. So I'm now optimistic that our diaper days are drawing to a close in the coming months. I'm soooooo ready for that step to come. But I also know that it won't come until she's fully ready for it, so I'm not pushing at all. It sure is nice to see her interested in taking those steps toward that goal though!

What a big girl my baby is getting to be!

No comments: